Well, it wasn't really giant, but the title is catchy.
On Wednesday, Tallulah decided to eat a peach. She managed to sneak into a grocery bag that held the peaches, pull one out and eat half of it before mom could walk around the corner of the kitchen. Not only did she eat half the flesh of the peach, she ate the pit.
Now, you may not know it, but peach pits are not dog friendly. The pit can cause blockages in the intestines, requiring surgery. And you know that would be in the middle of the night on the weekend or something. The seeds inside contain amygdalin which is a compound of cyanide and sugar.
Mom called the vet right away.
Thankfully, our vet knows us (too well!) and told mom what to do. She didn't suggest inducing vomiting because the pit could get stuck in the throat. She said that if Tallulah did chew the pit and get to the seed, unfortunately, there was nothing that could be done if the pit contained enough of the compound to be fatal. So that was a real cheery morning.
Otherwise, the vet said to watch Tallulah's poop.
And the poop watch was on.
Mom not only closely watched Tallulah do her business, she had to THOROUGHLY investigate the poop, if you know what we mean. That involved latex gloves and a flashlight at times. The vet said that if the pit was going to pass, it should do it by today. If not, an exam and possibly surgery was in order. It would be better to figure out where it was and get it out before a blockage happened.
Thank pug, it came out this afternoon! We will spare you the photo of that one.
Now, if your pet eats a peach pit, be sure to call your vet. This could have worked out much differently. Fortunately for us, the peach was a white peach which has a smaller pit and is smooth which doesn't irritate the bowels. It actually looked like a big almond. Ewww, right?
Anyway, Tallulah's day just got peachier. (snerk) Hope your weekend isn't the pits!